Dear Pioneer Community:I am writing regarding the COVID-19 situation which has been rapidly evolving each day in our state and region. We have been in continual contact with local and state health officials and the New York State Department of Education as the situation unfolds, keeping the health and safety of students, staff, and the community as our top priority.
The Regional Offices of the County Health Departments have recommended that all school districts – including Pioneer Central School District — be closed to students effective Monday March 16, 2020, through Sunday, April 12, 2020, with instruction occurring through alternative means. While there are still no confirmed cases in our community at the time of this communication, the action is being taken out of caution, as cases in neighboring counties continues to rise. The main purpose of the recommendation is to slow the potential spread of disease among students and the community by promoting social distancing and avoiding the gathering of large numbers of people.
- Our district and all programs will be closed to students on Monday, March 16. All Faculty and Staff are to report. This closure will allow our instructional team and other staff members to train and finalize educational plans for students.
- Tuesday, March 17 - Faculty and staff will report. Decisions about future dates for staff will be made at that time.
- As a district, we do have a food plan in place to provide meals to those students who require it during the closure. You will be receiving specific communication on that shortly.
- The district will be available to do the best we can to assist and guide families who are in need of special assistance.
- April 12, 2020 is our planned date for the end of the official closure. The scheduled spring break will then be in place at that time. We will be constantly assessing to see if a longer closure will be required, using the feedback provided by local and state health officials as our guide.
- Please continue to keep your households as safe as possible by washing your hands regularly, avoiding contact with those who are sick, cleaning and disinfecting regularly used surfaces, and staying home when you are sick.
- Staff will still be available throughout the closure, through multiple channels, to support student work, answer questions, and ensure continuity of education.
We appreciate your support during this challenging time. PIONEER WILL continue to be proactive in keeping our students, staff and communities safe. Please continue to take care of yourself and others.
Benjamin A. Halsey