Pioneer School Resource Officer
Cattaraugus County Sheriffs Deputy Joe Miller
Email to Deputy Miller
Cattaraugus County Sheriffs Substation: 716-492-9359 The SRO program places a police officer in the high school and middle school on a full time basis with the goal of creating and maintaining safe, secure, and orderly learning environments for students, teachers, and staff. The SRO program reflects the community's desire to ensure that its schools are safe, secure and orderly. SROs represent a proactive strategy designed to bring prevention and intervention into the schools.
The SRO is not intended to serve as a "security officer" in the school, nor is he there to enforce disciplinary policies. The ultimate responsibility is to carry out his duties as a Cattaraugus County Deputy Sheriff, as expressed and interpreted through the Cattaraugus County Sheriff Department's chain of command.
Duties of the School Resource Officer
- To ensure the safety for the students, faculty and staff at Pioneer Schools.
- To counsel students in special situations, such as students suspected of engaging in criminal misconduct, when requested by a school administrator or parents of the student.
- To enforce criminal laws on the Local, State, and Federal levels, and to assist school officials with the enforcement of Policies and Regulations regarding student conduct
- To investigate criminal activity on or around school property
- To answer questions that students may have concerning criminal and juvenile law
- To assist other officer's with outside investigations concerning students
- To provide security at special school events or functions Project H.E.L.P. (Helping Everyone Live Peacefully).