RUNNING FOR SCHOOL BOARD
1. Must secure signatures of at least 25 qualified voters of the district, with residences indicated, on a petition that states the name and residence of the candidate.
2. Petitions may be obtained through Carrie Bartoszek, District Clerk in March of each year.
3. Petitions are due in the office of the district clerk by 5:00 p.m. 30 days before the election.
Candidates are required to submit a campaign expenditure statement to the District Clerk 30 days and 5 days before the district election and 20 days after the school district election if campaign contributions/expenses exceed $500. If less than $500 then required to file a sworn statement with the District Clerk indicating that neither expenditures nor contributions exceeded $500.
Who Can Serve?
Board candidates must be:
- At least 18 years old
- Qualified to vote in the district
- Able to read and write
- A Pioneer School District resident for at least 1 full year before the election
- Be a current employee of Pioneer Schools
- Live in the same household with a family member who serves on the same Board of Education.
What qualities make an effective Board member?
- Is an effective communicator
- Is a good listener
- Is a consensus builder
- Is actively involved in the community
- Is a decision maker
- Is a good information processor
- Is a team player
- Is a leader
The New York State School Boards Association has information on the ins & outs of running for school board.