For the 2020 Board of Education election, the minimum threshold of nominating signature requirements has been eliminated by order of the governor. Also, the candidates' names will appear on the ballot alphabetically. All other requirements for board service remain unchanged. The election will be June 9 by absentee ballot.
Who Can Serve?
Board candidates must be:
- At least 18 years old
- Qualified to vote in the district
- Able to read and write
- A Pioneer School District resident for at least 1 full year before the election
- Be a current employee of Pioneer Schools
- Live in the same household with a family member who serves on the same Board of Education.
What qualities make an effective Board member?
- Is an effective communicator
- Is a good listener
- Is a consensus builder
- Is actively involved in the community
- Is a decision maker
- Is a good information processor
- Is a team player
- Is a leader
The New York State School Boards Association has information on the ins & outs of running for school board.