Pioneer staff will effectively and consistently manage head injuries to aid in ensuring that athletes sustaining a concussion will be identified, treated and referred appropriately until they are fully recovered.
Once symptom-free and cleared by their family doctor, the Return to Play protocol will be as follows and executed by Pioneer's Certified Athletic Trainer:
1. Light aerobic exercise. Non-resistance training. Walk, bike or elliptical for 15-20 minutes.
2. Add higher exertion aerobics. 20 each of jumping jacks, sit ups and push- ups.
3. Add resistance band exercises. Non- contact sport specific skills.
4. Add high resistance on a treadmill, bike or elliptical. Free weight exercises, bench press, arm curls and squats.
5. School MD release, return to full practice.
6. Full return to play.
7. Follow up.