Policy Board Minutes
PIONEER TEACHER CENTER POLICY BOARD
Policy Board Meeting Minutes
November 5, 2018
4:00 p.m. – Room D120 -- Pioneer Middle School
Teachers Present: Susan Dressel, Frank Guzzetta, Thomas Izydorczak, Jennifer Palmerton, Mary Rauscher, Michelle Lyons
Others Present: Tammy Burton, Michael Irizarry, Deborah Rickerson
Absent: Karen Haynes, Jessica Hibbard, Carolyn Richards, Laura Tatlow
Quorum present? N/A
Others Present (non-voting):
Benjamin Halsey - Superintendent of Schools
Jill Wilkie - Teacher Center Director/Teacher
- Meeting called to order at 4:00 p.m. by Chair, Jennifer Palmerton
- Consensus Report – Minutes – October 1, 2018
Motion: To approve Consensus Report as presented.
1st Mary Rauscher 2nd Michelle Lyons
All in favor. Motion passed.
- Forthcoming Meetings
- December 3, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- December 6 – FarWest Regional Directors’ Meeting – Erie 1 BOCES
- January 7, 2019 – Policy Board meeting
- January 31, 2019 – FarWest Regional Directors’ Meeting – Erie 1 BOCES
- February 4, 2019 – Policy Board meeting
- March 4-6, 2019 – NYSTC Spring Symposium – Albany, NY
- March 11, 2019 – Policy Board meeting
- April 1, 2019 – Policy Board meeting
- May 2, 2019 -- FarWest Regional Directors’ Meeting – Erie 1 BOCES
- May 6, 2019 – Policy Board meeting
- June 3, 2019 – Policy Board meeting
- State, Curriculum/TC Updates
The director updated the Policy Board on the following items:
- Fall Focus Fall Focus Report – Next Generation Learning Standards
The director attended the statewide Fall Focus meeting on October 16, 2018. There was valuable work time provided to work regionally to develop a program that supports the implementation of the Next Generation Learning Standards. The FarWest region is developing a program to utilize technology in enhancing instruction of NGLS. NYSTC will be presenting 45-hour course work that will allow Special Education teachers that meet specific requirements to extend certifications to PK-K or Grades 7/8. More information will be forthcoming.
- TC Secretary Update
More interviews were held for the TC secretary position. If a candidate is chosen, it is expected that Board approval should occur at the November 20 Pioneer Board of Education meeting.
- Breakout EDU Update
The director gave the Policy Board data on Breakout EDU kit usage from each building. The Breakout EDU codes will be expiring soon. The Director of Technology, Curriculum and Instruction contacted C-A BOCES and a Breakout EDU digital code is available to the district through the current COSER. The updated code will be added to all Breakout EDU kits in all building Media Centers.
- Reflection Forms
Reflection Forms are now available in MLP for completion. There continue to be minor technology issues that need to be corrected, such as the save and continue feature. The district has noted that tickets have been opened to have these issues resolved in MLP.
Participants have received emails with directions and the TC website has been updated with current directions for completing reflections online.
- Webmaster Update
All information on the website is up to date. Directions for completing reflection forms in MLP have been uploaded to the website. After the meeting, the next meeting date and minutes from October’s meeting will be uploaded to the website.
- Building Liaison Information
- 2018-2019 PTC In-Service Workshops are available for fall and spring – please sign up promptly to avoid course cancellation.
- 2018-2019 course payments are being accepted. Please submit $100 payment as soon as possible.
- PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO “PIONEER CENTRAL SCHOOLS” and in the memo line, please write “Pioneer In-Service”
- Summer 2018 course payments were due October 31.
- Registration forms are still required for workshops, sent to the TC in electronic or hard copy format.
- Teachers must complete a request in My Learning Plan (MLP).
- Teachers should not start coursework before receiving approval in MLP.
- Reflection Forms will be completed in My Learning Plan. Forms will be completed and submitted directly in My Learning Plan. Please remember to identify three course objectives on the Reflection Form. Course objectives can be found on the course syllabus that was received from the course instructor. If a course has more than three goals/objectives, choose three to report on.
- When taking a course from an outside provider (ASCD, etc.), a Reflection Form should be completed in MLP, following the same procedures.
- Needs Assessment Review
The Policy Board reviewed the 2018-2019 Needs Assessment results in preparation for the 2019-2020 school year. A total of 169 Needs Assessment were received, which was similar to last year’s results. A Needs Assessment survey for administrators was distributed and the Policy Board will review results at December’s meeting. The Policy Board will use results to begin brainstorming in-service workshops for the 2019-2020 school year. Michael Irizarry will review all Pioneer technology programs to determine which programs would be best to include in a Pioneer Technology course. It was also noted that an MOU will not be needed for the 2019-2020 school year for the start date of courses because the 2018-2019 school year runs late. Monday, July 1, 2019 will be the start date for the 2019-2020 In-Service Course Catalog.
- 2018-2019 Workshop Registrations
The Policy Board reviewed registrations for remaining workshops for the 2018-2019 school year. District staff are encouraged to register early because all remaining courses begin in January or February 2019.
Motion made by Michelle Lyons to adjourn meeting, seconded by Tom Izydorczak.
All in favor. Motion passed.
- Next meeting – December 3, 2018
- Meeting adjourned at 4:55 p.m.
Minutes submitted by TC Director, Jill Wilkie