PIONEER TEACHER CENTER POLICY BOARD MINUTES
DATE: December 4, 2017
TIME: 4:00 p.m. – Middle School - Room D120 – Curriculum Office
IN ATTENDANCE: Sylvia Chase, Susan Dressel, Frank Guzzetta, Michael Irizarry, Thomas Izydorczak,
Giorgio LoBianco, Robert Morgan, Jennifer Palmerton, Mary Rauscher, Mary Lou Sworts, Jill Wilkie
- CONSENSUS REPORT – Minutes – November 6, 2017
Motion: To accept consensus report as presented.
1st Tom Izydorczak 2nd Frank Guzzetta Carried: Yes
- Forthcoming Meetings
- December 7, 2017 - Erie 1 BOCES
- January 8, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- February 1, 2018 - NYSUT Office, Williamsville
- February 5, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- March 5-7, 2018 - NYSTC Spring Symposium/Committee of 100-Albany, NY
- March 12, 2018 – Policy Board meeting (due to conflict w/state mtg.)
- April 9, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- May 7, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- May 17, 2018 - Buffalo State College
- June 4, 2018 – Policy Board meetng
- State, Curriculum/TC Updates
- Workshop updates – Registrations have slowed, which is typical for this
time of the year. There are no registrations for the AIS/RtI course at this time. There was a request by a PFA member that another section of “Hanging In” be added for the spring. The Policy Board discussed the possibility of adding another section.
- ELA/Math Next Generation Standards – There was a workshop held in
Saratoga Springs on the Next Generation Standards on November 30. The director should get updates from two FarWest directors that attended the conference at the FarWest meeting on Thursday, December 7. Cattaraugus-Allegany BOCES representative Sarah Wittmeyer should also provide information to share.
- Breakout EDU – The Breakout EDU kits have been received. A protocol
was created as a template that building libraries can use for checkouts. Breakout EDU platform access usernames and passwords were included with each kit.
- Webmaster Update
The website is up to date. Following today’s meeting, The January’s meeting date will be added, along with an update of November’s meeting minutes
- Building Liaison Information
- 2017-2018 Summer workshop payments were due by end of October
- 2017-2018 Spring workshops available – Technology/AIS
- PDP Timekeeper is due 2 weeks prior to start of workshop – please do not start working on course work before receiving approval
- Registration is required for all workshops, send to TC in electronic or hard copy format
- Reflection Forms have been sent to participants for completion of summer/fall workshops. If individuals have taken workshops from outside providers, they should contact the Teacher Center for a Reflection Form. These forms are not available online due to being specific for each workshop.
- All Reflection Forms should be typed and sent electronically to the Teacher Center and Presenter.
- 2018-2019 Workshop Discussion
Based on the Needs Assessment, course proposal forms were sent to the individuals interested in teaching courses and some proposals were received. The Policy Board discussed proposals that were viable for in-service course work. The director will be in contact with potential instructors who need do revise their proposals. A discussion was had on the potential of having seminars available to staff as opposed to full in-service workshops. A slate of possible courses was shared to begin thinking about next year’s offerings.
- 2017-2018 Workshops/Registrations
- Current registrations for 2017-2018 workshops (197)
- Independent Study – Approvals
- Final Approval - Special Education – Jennifer O’Hare, Kaitlyn Leavoy
Motion: To grant final approval to the Independent Study Special Education workshop for Jennifer O’Hare and Kaitlyn Leavoy.
1st Giorgio LoBianco 2nd Tom Izydorczak Carried: Yes
- Initial Course Approval – Social Studies – Glen Shanahan
Motion: To grant initial approval of the Independent Study Social Studies workshop for Glen Shanahan.
1st Frank Guzzetta 2nd Tom Izydorczak Carried: Yes
- Laminator – Cart
Discussion: The Policy Board contacted various distributors of laminating
machines since the current model is outdated and does not always accommodate the needs of the staff. It was decided to purchase a 27” machine to replace the Center’s current 24” one. The Board reviewed the many selections provided, and felt that purchasing locally would also benefit the Center with delivery and maintenance.
They selected the GBC Ultima 65 machine from the Ambind Corporation in Cheektowaga, which appears to be used in many Western New York school systems. This 27” GBC Ultima 65 machine will cost $1749, which includes delivery, set up and training, along with a 1-year warranty of on-site maintenance on all non-wearable parts, labor, travel, and shipping not relate to operator misuse or negligence.
Also discussed was the need for a laminator cart to hold the above machine.
This company has provided information on a Laminating Cart, 32”x27”x24”, on wheels, with a handle to push around, locking doors and made out of hard PVC. This cart would cost $285 including shipping.
Motion: To purchase the above 27” GBC Ultima 65 Laminating Machine for a price of $1749 and the Laminating Cart for a price of $285, for a total of $2034.
1st Mary Rauscher 2nd Sue Dressel Carried: Yes
- Higher Ed – Policy Board member
Tabled at this time.
Motion to Adjourn:
1st Mary Rauscher 2nd Sue Dressel Carried: Yes
ADJOURNED: 5 p.m.
NEXT MEETING: January 8, 2018