CLASSROOM RULES AND POLICIES
The children and I will make a Social Contract that clearly dictate our agreed upon classroom rules. This Social Contract will be made during the first couple weeks of school We will also make the agreed upon consequences to any disruption in the classroom rules together. This gives the students more of a say in what behaviors are acceptable, and which ones are unacceptable to them. I do guide the students in the rules so everyone is treated with respect. Being respectful to one another, as well as any adult, is my main focus so we can have a happy, safe and successful learning environment. Our school district is compliant with New York State's D.A.S.A. policy. Any student reported to me for bullying will then be reported to administration.
1. Attendance is crucial to your child's success in 5th grade. I am unable to help them if they are not present in class. Much of what is learned is presented by myself, technology and materials that I use. I can send home paper work, but the learning "how to" or "why" has been missed. Of course I understand that illness does occur. If your child is truly ill, please do keep them home. However, if your child is able to attend class, it will be most beneficial to them. An excuse will be needed for any absences. I ask that any appointments (doctor, dentist, etc.) try to be made for after school hours whenever possible.
2. All classwork should be completed in class, however, there are times when students might need an extra five minutes to complete the work. Any unfinished classwork therefore will become homework.
3. Homework needs to be completed that night and is due the next morning, unless otherwise stated. Remember, we have an EXCELLENT HOMEWORK HELP PROGRAM AT SCHOOL that your child may attend with a signed permission form. The knowledgable and helpful staff can assist your child with homework every afternoon if your child is not getting it done at home or if they need assistance. I do allow and ENCOURAGE corrections on nightly math homework. I will give back half credit for any corrected work and your child's grade will be adjusted accordingly.
4. Please read your child's agenda nightly. I do not have a signature policy for parents, but you will see my signature at the top of the page each day. That lets you know I've checked to make sure all assignments are written down for that day. The only areas I cannot comment upon would be classes such as FACS, art/music/physical education; in short, classes out of the core content areas.
5. I will provide a safe and nurturing environment for your child and will treat them with respect. In return, I ask that your child conduct themselves in a safe and respectful way around the other students. They need to keep their own body, language and behavior in check and under control at all times. We are in school to learn and to work together. This cannot be accomplished if others are fearful or interrupted by a student who is acting in an inappropriate or demeaning manor.